Thursday, May 16, 2013

Contentment

Where am I now?

contentment  
con·tent·ment [kuhn-tent-muhnt]
noun
1. the state of being contented; satisfaction; ease of mind.
2. Archaic. the act of making contentedly satisfied.
Origin: 1400–50; late Middle English contentment; Middle French.
Synonyms 1. See happiness.

World English Dictionary content 2 (kənˈtɛnt)  adj
1. mentally or emotionally satisfied with things as they are 
2. assenting to or willing to accept circumstances, a proposed course of action, etc — vb
3. ( tr ) to make (oneself or another person) content or satisfied: to content oneself with property — n
4. peace of mind; mental or emotional satisfaction

This is something I generally am, I know not the best grammar, but it's true, while we can't always control what is going on around us, we do have absolute control over HOW we react to things. Oh sure I can get angry, but my set point is contented, happy, calm... I can even get excited about things, being excited isn't necessarily a positive or negative thing, you can get excited and cause yourself damage (emotionally and physically) if you all it to rule your life. 

I am not into zen stuff, but if I were, I think I'd make a great zen person, instead I'm zen for God. :) I know things happen, sometimes good, sometimes not so good, but it's all for the betterment of ourselves. Yes, even the seemingly negatives that pop up in our lives, these tests, these roadblocks, I feel like everything happens for a reason, and even that seemingly negative experience is a growing and learning experience for me.

For example, you are on your way to work, you are running late, everything is slowing you down, you are working on your "excuse" you will give your boss, it's starting to rain, oh great... then you have a flat tire, ughhhhhh! You have to stop, hopefully you know how to change a tire, have all the necessary tools or you might have to call for help, either way, now you are really late for work... you could be thinking to yourself, wondering why it ALWAYS happens to you? 

So, now you are back on the road, you've called in to work to let them know why you aren't there yet, then as you come around the corner on the freeway, there is a huge backup of traffic, there has been a major wreck... soooo if you hadn't had that flat tire, you would have been speeding through there in a tizzy right at the time of the wreck. So all of those things that were blocking you from getting to work on time, probably just saved your life, or at the very least saved you from a wrecked car and possibly a wrecked life.

I can tell you that sort of thing has happened to me more than once, there was a time when I was looking at getting a pretty huge financial settlement, for 3 years this went back and forth with lawyers, meetings and such... eventually it all came down to one thing and that wasn't in my favor, it wasn't right, it should have been in my favor, but God did me a favor by not allowing me to "win" that settlement... I guarantee you that if I had won that settlement and gotten even a percentage of what I was expecting, I wouldn't be where I am now, I would be living quite a different life and I don't think it would have been nearly as good as I have it now.  

I enjoy my life, I am happy, more importantly I am content, what about you? If not, what would it take to get you into that state?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, but not spam, so I moderate all comments, I'll approve your post in fairly short order.

Thanks for taking the time to stop by, read my stuff and leave a comment! :)