Sunday, February 26, 2012

Big Rigs At Night

Had yet another road intuition experience, on Friday I had driven to a town that is about 3 hours away from where I live, most of the ride is long stretches of 2 lane highways with little traffic and lots of nothing to see. It was getting dark when my friend and I were driving home,  I was driving, the speed limit is 75, I don't drive that fast at night, too many critters potentially running across the road. There was a big rig in front of me driving slower that I was, there was no other traffic around, I started gauging when it would be good to pass the truck.

I looked toward the left lane next to the truck and was about to speed up to pass, I immediately got a feeling not to pass, I can't explain exactly what I saw, but the space next to the truck seemed to be like a void, an empty, truly empty space, one that if we drove into it, would be paramount to driving into a black hole, as if we would cease to exist, I didn't think we would make it home if I passed this truck at that time. Needless to say, I chose to stay behind that truck for a while longer.

About 5-7 minutes later, that feeling left and I decided it was time to pass this truck, as I did, there was an on ramp to the highway, there were two big rigs on the on ramp entering the highway, they were going a bit too fast and when they merged onto the highway, their trailers whipped into the other lane, they took up both lanes temporarily. If I had passed the truck in front of me when I first wanted to, I believe I would have been right where those two trucks entered the highway, probably having an encounter that would have resulted in our deaths.

The rest of the trip was uneventful. I do put my feelers out for animals as I am driving, I felt nothing from them, and had none of them jumped out in front of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, but not spam, so I moderate all comments, I'll approve your post in fairly short order.

Thanks for taking the time to stop by, read my stuff and leave a comment! :)